First Week Done

I am beginning week 2 of my debt free journey. I've finished one week of my new part time job-18.5 hours @ $12/hour. I'm very anxious to get my first paycheck which I hope will be next week but because the company is changing from weekly to biweekly, I'm wondering if I will have to wait another week. That will bring me into November so the question is, do I apply the money to the October budget because that is when I actually worked, or do I apply it to the November budget because that is when I got paid? If I apply it to October, I will put it in my emergency savings account as Step One of the Total Money Makeover is to save up $1000 in an emergency fund. This sounds illogical because it would seem that the main objective is to get out of debt as soon as possible but it actually makes sense. If I apply every extra dollar to my debt payoff right now, I will have nothing available for any kind of emergency, whether it be automotive (always my luck!), veterinary (definitely the kind of luck I'm having these days) or household (The only thing I can think of that would fall into this category is my furnace which is 30 years old. If that goes, $1000 isn't going to cut it anyway.  I already don't have lights in my kitchen as the connection to the pendants over the island failed last year, I have cracks in the foundation and I'm missing railings on both sides of the front stoop.).Because I've reached my credit line on all cards but my vet cards, having $1000 in a savings account will actually alleviate a lot of stress right now.

So how did I do this past week? Well, due to the generosity of a friend, I had a $25 GC to Stop and Shop, and I had $20 dollars from a worker raffle I won 2 weeks ago at my club's agility trial. Plus I had an extra $2 in my wallet in change. I was able to get everything I needed plus a treat and I spent exactly what I had. This was not part of the budget since it was all gifts but it sure will get me through this last week of the  month. Also at work yesterday we were treated to pizza so lunch and dinner were on the company and I was able to save the lunch I had brought for today. I did some cooking Friday nite so I have plenty in the freezer plus I have enough to put together a nice chili if I so desire.

I had enough in the Pet Supply account to buy my special guy his Rx food at the vet which was good because he only had one meal left in the bin.

I made the decision NOT to go to the Rally trial with my girl today, an hour away. The trial was paid for and there were 2 shows today that we were entered in, but I realistically couldn't afford the gas since I have to go back there on Wednesday to meet with a State Retirement Counselor. Couldn't afford 2 trips. Hope I can afford the one.  Sacrifices like these are what hurt the most. If we had gone and gotten a high enough score in only one of the trials, we would have qualified for Rally Nationals at Purina Farms in MO. Up until this week, I foolishly thought I would actually go. There is no way in hell I can afford that trip, at least not for the foreseeable future. But she is very young, and has a whole career ahead of her. What I'm really worried about is my ability to keep going. I've been diagnosed with a possible autoimmune disease, I'm close to my 61st birthday and I'm a heart attack survivor who hasn't taken great care of herself over the past 2 years.  So I guess I'm feeling a time crunch and want to get as much done with the dog as possible in the shortest amount of time.  I need to just take a breath, relax and enjoy what we can do together.

What I'm starting to realize is that the debt I've incurred isn't just financial. It affects just about every aspect of my life-physical, emotional, and spiritual. I find it very hard to not worry about things like telling my family I can't afford gifts this year for Christmas or birthdays and yet, even if I say I don't want any gifts myself, I know they won't honor that. Then I will feel even worse. Its like a vicious cycle. It will be at least 2 years before I see any improvement in my situation. That's a long time to eat rice and beans, be strong and sacrifice everything that makes my happy. And the worst part is I have no one to share this journey with. It is a very isolating feeling. I sure  hope next week I feel a little more hopeful.

Comments